Modern house, office and business furniture, furniture ethiopia and Interior ethiopia.

Mirror Mirror on the Wall

This all started because Ann sent me an inspiration tile photo for her kitchen (don't be mad Ann). Her photo had fabulous lantern tiles, but I did notice that the counter tops looked like mine. I have always loved my kitchen, but hated the tile. Could a tile change make all of the difference and make me love my counter tops?
It was the eyesore in a potentially amazing space. Well... let's just say, once I get an idea in my head, there is no turning back. Plus I'm the most impatient person on the planet and must get it done immediately. So, after buttering up my husband for some new penny rounds (I got nowhere), I was ready for a re-do. And my budget (set by angry annoyed husband) for backsplash: $0. Yep zero, zilch, nada. To quote my sweet husband: If it ain't broke don't fix it. You can get pretty creative on a budget of $0. I did some research (called Ann) and with a little elbow grease and a bottle of ceramic paint, I went to town. Oh yeah, add $4.99 for paint from local craft store. Not much more than zero.
Nothing to it. Husband thinks I'm crazy and there is no way this can work, but what else is new? Bye by checkerboard, hello new kitchen! With the help of a local glass company, I was able to get 3 mirrors cut to fit each section. In a few minutes, with some liquid nails and Krazy Glue, I had a new instant backsplash! $80 later, I no longer feel like I am serving up cheeseburgers at Checkers and can even check my hair while cooking breakfast. So $0 is really close to $80, right? I mean, $80 is practically free. Even hubby is happy with new look and price tag.
The mirrored tile below was $20 from Homegoods and adds some bling behind my range. Lucky me, it fits perfectly and gives it a custom touch.
 Remember my bug catcher? 
A new drum shade adds more drama and soft light. I look better in the mirrors in soft light. And I put it up myself so I saved on an electrician and impressed husband (sort of until he had to check my work). 
I painted Benjamin Moore's Covington Blue in high gloss on the backs of my cabinets for some color. Even added puck lights (yes, they stick on) to illuminate my fab Foo dog.
 The backs of the cabinets pick up the blue milk glass in my chandelier. I am loving my new stenciled hide in here. It's a crumb catcher and sweeps up easily. Can you see the Craig's List ghost chairs? My husband still hasn't noticed them. I paired them with a white leather bench (remember it from my bathroom)? I painted the base a soft gray and can now seat 7. Wanna come over for dinner?
Bye bye birdie,
~H


Credit to: Matkins Glass
You have read this article with the title Mirror Mirror on the Wall. You can bookmark this page URL http://ethiopiaawatch.blogspot.com/2011/02/mirror-mirror-on-wall.html. Thanks!
Write by: AN - Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Comments "Mirror Mirror on the Wall"

Post a Comment