Modern house, office and business furniture, furniture ethiopia and Interior ethiopia.

A Before and After Project with my Brothers!

For the past several months I have been working on a dream project! I was called in to help overhaul a house for a young family. The house was dark and too formal for their casual living needs. They wanted walls down, light pouring in, all new furniture and custom touches galore. Pinch me! Not only did this appeal to my inner architect BUT I got to work on the project with my very talented brothers.

(My cute bro's John and Lindley of Sound Side Carpentry)

Together we designed the built ins and hashed out the details that would reflect the homeowners style and wants. We tackled the Living room, Dining room, Kitchen and Guest bath...

LIVING ROOM BEFORE:


AFTER:

By opening up a wall, we created a bar between the kitchen and living room. The bar surface is concrete which is a nice modern blend with their existing granite. 2 over sized pendants add personality and fun while a new fireplace surround and barn wood mantle are now more reflective of the homeowners style. (get a peak of the built in wine rack leading into the dining off the foyer!)


The custom built in houses a TV my hubby would love to own (sorry Jeff...) and has a desk for their cute daughter to eventually use for homework and a spot for a new mac! Jen from Fotojenik helped me with the install and did a great job with the shelves. (thx Jen!)

I loved the lamps that the homeowners already had and wanted to still use. I made them work by adding a butterfly pillow with a similar color to the sofa. I went light and airy on the sofas and rug but threw a lot of pattern together in the pillows and ottoman.

THE KITCHEN (no befores... my bad...)

Let their be light... Creating this bar completely opened the space and allowed for more natural light to pour in...

Making a larger opening from the kitchen to the dining room  helped with flow...

I had the upper cabinets painted a soft grey and the lowers painted one shade darker. They were originally a medium wood tone. The granite was existing but a new back splash and cabinet colors changed the dark, traditional vibe.

My bro's added the banquet which I kept simple with soothing colors, a smaller bamboo table and  traditional chairs. Coffee anyone?

DINING BEFORE:


AFTER:


The homeowners really wanted to keep the bow front chest (glad they did!) Soooo... we designed built ins for either side. The glass has an antique feel while the pulls and chandelier (fave!)  read modern. (Remember our word of the year was juxtaposition)

It's like a little piece of art...

Not only did my bro's do the built ins, wainscoting & construction, but they also whipped out a barn wood table for the dining room.  I think the room has a fun, whimsical feeling to it... It's not just for holidays now!

BATHROOM BEFORE:


This was a typical builder bathroom...

AFTER:



A wise and talented blog partner ;) once told me to always treat guest baths  like little jewel boxes. I took her advice and tried to do just that. Thibaut wallpaper and a painted ceiling create a soothing space. While removing the sconces and adding the overhead lantern gives you something unexpected.

If you can sketch it, they can build it... My bro's always laugh  at my scribbled on scrap paper drawings, but
they always manage to figure them out and  these doors turned out exactly like they were in  my head. We used the existing cabinet box and added the doors and new pulls .

a teak top and vessel sink complete the custom look...

This project was so fun for me. The homeowners were awesome and I love when John, Lindley and I can work together. I am always amazed at their craftsmanship and artistry. Check out their etsy shop here and visit them here.

Let me know your thoughts... We love hearing from you!
Happy Monday!
Bye,bye birdie,
~A

Credit to: Soundside Carpentry, Carve Surfaceworks
You have read this article with the title A Before and After Project with my Brothers!. You can bookmark this page URL http://ethiopiaawatch.blogspot.com/2012/03/a-before-and-after-project-with-my.html. Thanks!
Write by: AN - Monday, March 26, 2012

Comments "A Before and After Project with my Brothers!"

Post a Comment