Modern house, office and business furniture, furniture ethiopia and Interior ethiopia.

all said and done...

I promise I will never talk about my kitchen again... You might remember a lot of whining discussions about my kitchen in the past. But, no more...It is finished! And we did it ourselves (this explains why it took 3 weeks!). Now I can officially add tiling, cabinet refinishing, and hood installation to my reseme'. 
AFTER:
BEFORE:
(YIKES!)
I am kind of scratching my head that I lived with this kitchen so long. When we moved in (6 years ago) we gutted the whole house except the kitchen. All we did was change the lighting and install wide plank pine floors to match the rest of the house. I painted them in a yellow and cream buffalo check and then stopped.
As much as I loved the patterned floor the yellow had to go. I decided on a solid blue floor so nothing distracted from the barn wood counter tops my bros and hubby surprised me with last year. I chose Benjamin Moore sea star which gives a nice old porch floor vibe. A coat of peacock blue on the light fixture saved me from having to replace it.
My daughter, Lindley, came up with the idea to paint the small drawers to the left of the fridge in chalkboard paint. I even let her paint them. I love that we can write on the outside what is inside! Apple doesn't fall far from the tree! 
 
I never waivered on a white back splash and finally decided on a simple 2x4 subway. A natural gray grout gives it a simple classic look. Jeff and I tiled this together and are still married. It was touch and go for a while but we made it. Next time I'm writing a check and never looking back

Hmmm... this is what ignored children look like. Addie is dressed for summer and they are playing with spaghetti. Let's not even talk about hair.

Home Goods baskets make for great hidden storage above my cabinets. Those bad boys are full of serving bowls and small appliances. I have to get creative when it comes to storage in our old house.  I'm not sure why no one believed in closets pre- 1980.
Not a tear was shed when Jeff took our microwave to the dumpster. I was so glad to open up the space above the range and add a hood. We didn't replace the microwave and I have to admit I do not miss it. Pop corn taste better old schooled on the stove top anyway. I had forgotten...

The biggest change was painting the cabinets. I chose a soft gray with a bit of green in it. I love it. My kitchen was so dark and needed lighter cabinets. I added simple glass knobs that are in keeping with the classic style. I am so pleased with the result. Again, 6 years...why? 
I found a gurgle pitcher at HomeGoods that makes the perfect utensil holder.
A few years ago we added a chalkboard wall and hooks for book packs. Our house is small (our 2 year plan has lingered on a bit) and storage is sparse. Sometimes I pretend we live on a boat. Every square inch must serve a purpose!

I'm not sure why Molly looks so pitiful... I was kidding about the ignore thing. Er..um..sort of...
Our seamstress extraordinaire made me a faux roman shade. I wanted the look but didn't need the function.  The ikat adds just enough pattern and vibes with the rest of my house.

I grabbed this antique hutch when Hooper and I went to London. Our amazing client scored so much great stuff at auctions and knew all the places to go. I was thrilled to be able to come back with this beautiful piece. It was already gray though some day I'd love to take it back to its original pine.
It's amazing how much better take out taste in a kitchen you like being in.
I do have to give my hoty (husband of the year) a shout out. He doesn't even flinch when  he comes home to find me using an electric sander  in the dining room on cabinet doors that were hanging in the kitchen when he left for work.
He kind of looks hot covered in grout dust. Kind of.
In other news, we are in a local publication, Lumina News! Thanks Jamie Walker for a great article. Loved perusing this while drinking my morning cup of Joe.
Happy Thursday!
Bye, bye birdie, 
You have read this articlebarn wood / glass knobs / homegoods / ikat / kitchen remodel / lumina news / painted floor / sea haze / subway tile with the title all said and done.... You can bookmark this page URL http://ethiopiaawatch.blogspot.com/2013/01/all-said-and-done.html. Thanks!
Write by: AN - Thursday, January 10, 2013

Comments "all said and done..."

Post a Comment