Modern house, office and business furniture, furniture ethiopia and Interior ethiopia.

Off the Chain Laundry Room

This is a before and after story of insanity. I'm talking lock me up and throw away the key. Sometimes, as some of you may know, I get an idea in my head and I just can't let it go. My husband urged me not to do this, Ann urged me not to do this without medication on hand, but I just couldn't let it go. I couldn't just leave well enough alone. 
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it", that's what they say. Whoever "they" is. Well...Define broke. Once I gave my kitchen a face lift, my laundry room (where I spend 75% of my day) was looking tired. Sad, tired and was a constant reminder of my Cinderella status. One morning, bright and early, Read took all of the kids to the circus. If you recall, it is dangerous to leave me home alone. While he was at the circus, I was creating a 3-ring circus of my own at home. Let's just say that the painted floor images I have seen on all of the blogs these days, wouldn't get out of my mind. Yes, I am out of my mind.

 I painted. Lots. Coat after coat of annoying white porch paint. Called Ann every five minutes for advice. I don't paint. I would not try this at home. It's awful. Leave it to a professional (Ann). She was worried once I pulled it off that I might steal her job. No worries Ann, it was like having a baby without an epidural and I haven't even gotten to the awful part. Then, I started taping. 
I wanted to come up with a design that expressed how it feels to spend day in and day out in my laundry room. Fluff and fold. Fluff and fold. Fluff and fold... you get the gist. So.... I came up with a design that just nails it. It's a satire on a floor. 

I painted a chain. What felt like hundreds of chain links. Millions actually. A great geometric with meaning. 
Yes, I did that. After taping it off (which involved lots of math, which I also don't do), I painted over the tape with gray 
semi-gloss paint.

Then, I added a coat of poly for protection and shine and Viola! 

 Then, I added fluff to my fluff and fold room... The valance is from one of my favorite local boutiques. My designer friend is redecorating the store, and the valance was the perfect shape and size. Who says you can't go in for a pair of shoes and come home with a valance?
 Can you see my new broom peeking out? Who knew sweeping could be so much fun! Watch out crumbs.
 I covered this space in cork  board and then upholstered it in a fun fabric for kids' artwork. 
 A couple of ceramic "tufted" garden stools for putting on shoes or time out. 

 A chalkboard wall so kids can stop coloring on my living room wall and a covered canvas for invitations. 
Not that we get invited anywhere, but if we do, I sure don't want to miss it!
 Tons of hooks for totes and my favorite sun hats (cause they make me smile and it might just be warm enough to wear them soon). 
 Bins for dirty and clean and yet to be folded clothes... storage up top for recipes, keepsakes, coupons, photos and anything else I may need a random spot for.
 Pictures that make me happy while I am fluffing and folding, fluffing and folding... 
                   A touch of Spring in my window
And lots of bright sunshine in my new and improved laundry room! What do you think? I kinda don't want to leave. 


Bye bye birdie...
~H
You have read this article with the title Off the Chain Laundry Room. You can bookmark this page URL http://ethiopiaawatch.blogspot.com/2011/03/off-chain-laundry-room.html. Thanks!
Write by: AN - Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Comments "Off the Chain Laundry Room"

Post a Comment